The History of Penfield Fitness
The Penfield Fitness and Racquet Club was established in 1978 by Alan Hanford. The original building included eight racquetball courts, two locker rooms, lounge, office, nursery, front desk area, parking lot, and a laundry room.
In 1981, the club expanded to include fitness. The Nautilus area was created. The whirlpool was added.
In 1983, the Club expanded to include the new nursery and aerobic studio. The Nautilus area was expanded to include a second circuit. The Total Club concept was introduced.
In 1988, the Fitness Center addition was completed. 2200 square feet was dedicated to free weights and cardio equipment. All new free weight equipment was purchased.
In 1992, the entire Club was renovated with new counter tops, carpeting, new lounge furniture, and repainting of the downstairs walls and the men's and ladies' locker rooms.
In 1994, the cardio theater mezzanine was added, giving our members the option to watch TV, listen to CDs, during a cardio workout. More treadmills and Cybex bicycles were purchased. Hammerstrength equipment was added to the free weight room.
In 1996, the swimming pool addition was completed. The pool is twenty yards long and its temperature is maintained at eighty-eight degrees. Swimming lessons, water aerobics classes, and arthritis classes are offered. Lap swimming is available.
In 2001, the basketball gymnasium was completed. Drop-in basketball and basketball and volleyball leagues are scheduled in this gym. Our group fitness classes also take place in the gymnasium. On weekends you will find Family Gym and birthday parties for kids.
In 2004, we celebrated 25 years of being in the fitness business.
In 2005 and 2006, we completed the following renovations:
- The main men's and women's locker rooms were completely remodeled with granite counter tops, cherry wood lockers, and sauna and steam rooms.
- New 1600-square-foot fitness studio with cardio mezzanine; personal flat screen TVs overlooking 16-piece techno-gym circuit.
- Eight-piece, state-of-the-art Life Fitness circuit training equipment.
- Brand new group cycling studio, complete with rubber floor, updated sound system, and 30 spinning bikes.
- Women's-only room increased in size and hard wood flooring was added.
- New entrance with elevator, new front desk area and larger lounge with all new furniture (leather couches, flat screen plasma etc).